Q & A with Philip Guest, Co-Founder of Freewheeling Adventures, Hubbards, Nova Scotia, Canada.
Memorable bicycling, walking, and sea kayaking tours covering many destinations in Canada, Europe, Central and South America. Private group tours are also available.
PLEASE DESCRIBE YOUR COMPANY.
We offer carefully crafted bicycling, walking, and multi-sport itineraries for small groups of friends or families to enjoy! We are 30 years in business, have an excellent staff and positive customer reviews.
ARE GUIDED AND SELF-GUIDED TOURS EQUALLY POPULAR?
About 70% of our customers opt for guided tours, and the other 30% are self-guided.
WHAT TYPES OF BICYCLES DO YOU HAVE?
We have good basic hybrids, and we also offer excellent upgrades to aluminum or carbon, tandem, or e-bikes.
DO SOLO TRAVELERS HAVE TO PAY A SURCHARGE?
For the multi-day tours, single travelers will sleep overnight in single rooms, if that's their preference, at the advertised single room surcharge. However, if they give us lots of notice and are willing to share, we can sometimes get them a single room without the associated cost.
WHICH OF YOUR TOURS ARE BOOKED MOST OFTEN?
Our tours within Canada are very popular. We also get lots of requests for Iceland and France.
TELL US A BIT ABOUT NOVA SCOTIA, CANADA.
HOW ARE MEALS ARRANGED?
We bring along snacks and picnic type food. For dinner, in most cases, an a la carte menu is waiting for our guests at excellent restaurants. This is our approach rather than one fixed meal plan for all. Our guests love this flexibility!
Yes, for transfer of luggage from point to point and also to carry along supplies like beverages and snacks. We ask our guests to use soft-sided duffel bags for their luggage.
WHAT HAPPENS ON BAD WEATHER / RAINY DAYS?
We suggest you pack all-weather athletic type clothes that can take moisture, and maybe have a rain parka handy too. In case of bad weather, we sometimes offer alternative activities; however, we encourage participation in all but the worst weather.
YOUR TRIPS ARE AT DIFFERENT PACE LEVELS. CAN YOU GIVE US A BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF EACH TYPE?
Once you take a look through our website, you will see that our itineraries are each color-coded. A green circle means easy and low miles per day. A blue square means moderate pace with a few hills. A black diamond means the most challenging in terms of daily mileage and steeper hills. We even have some mixed level trips with a moderate pace most days along with one or two challenging days.
A good example of our green circle trip would be our 5-day PEI Sideroads. This is an easy bicycle tour on quiet paved roads passing scenic small villages and farmland. It includes the best stretches of the Confederation Trail. You will visit Green Gables, PEI National Park, and beautiful sandy beaches along the north shore. Prince Edward Island
A good example of our blue square moderate tour is the 8-day Iceland Fertile South Bike itinerary. You will ride on paved roads and some smooth gravel trails in southern Iceland with additional options to hike, ride horses, and visit the beautiful Westman Islands. This region of Iceland features rolling hills, waterfalls, glaciers, and geysers. You can enjoy nightly hotspot soaks, and in the months of June and July the sun never sets! [Available June - August]
A black diamond tour is the most challenging and would be like our Newfoundland Viking Hike. This is a 7-day big hike into UNESCO World Heritage sites such as Gros Morne National park and L'Anse aux Meadows along the rugged western coast of Newfoundland, Canada. It is there that the first Europeans landed in North America. That would be the Vikings. [Available July - September]
I have already mentioned an example of a mixed moderate tour itinerary, and that would be our Classic Cabot Trail tour here in Nova Scotia.
HOW DO YOUR PRICES COMPARE?
We think our prices are very reasonable and often lower than other tour companies because we concentrate on small groups. No more than a maximum of 12 people. That enables us to stay overnights in small family-owned inns and avoid the large corporate-run hotels which are often more expensive.
Click on the buttons below to share this post on Social Media